Today I finally figured out how to fold a tent. Do you think this is no big deal? Have you tried it before? If you’re a first timer putting up and tearing down a tent like I am, you will understand what I went through.
Here’s the problem – Manufacturers must use air suction technology because I swear once the tent gets unfolded, there is almost no way the refolded tent will go back into the tiny little bag that it came out of. So, I decided to tackle the problem today.
I didn’t take pictures as I was folding but this is what I did. I have a 10×10 tent. In the spring when I fold it again I’ll take pics and add them in.
- Lay out the tent 10 x 10
- Fold one end right into the middle
- Fold the other end right into the middle
- Now this is where it gets tricky. You have a 10 x 5 rectangle
- Take the 10 side and fold it 1/3 toward the middle.
- Take the other 10 side and fold it all the way over the 1/3 section to the edge
- Now you have a 10 x approx 1.66 rectangle.
- Fold the 1.66 side to the middle
- Fod the other 1.66 side to the middle
- Now you have a 5 x 1.66 rectangle
- Again fold the 1.66 sides into the middle
- And finally, fold the 1.66 sides into the middle again
- And fold the two 1.66 sides together
Put it in the bag and you are all set!! Don’t forget to add the top canvas as I did. Also, don’t forget the poles as I did. I ended up zipping the tent case 3 times because I kept forgetting stuff!!
I was able to get the tent in and complete in about 15 minutes after I figured out how to fold a tent properly.
If you’re asking me how this relates to leadership? My 7 year old cub scout was very interested to see if I knew how to do it. Yes, I can. He learned how as well.